In our home, the holidays are all about keeping the spirit alive. We love lounging on the couch after dinner watching Christmas movies and munching on some sweets. But with a professional athlete in the house, we always keep our desserts healthy. This recipe is perfect for that cold winter evening, when you want something warm, crunchy and crispy yet cool, creamy and smooth.
If you are an ice cream lover like me and you can eat an entire pint at one sitting, then you must try Arctic Zero. It's creamy and decadent ice cream, without all of the fat and calories of regular ice cream. It is lactose free, gluten free and GMO free. This Vanilla Maple flavor is only 35 calories for 1/2 cup (the entire pint is only 150 calories). It contains 3g of protein and 2g fiber per serving which makes this the PERFECT compliment to my apple crisp! Shoot, with the macros of this recipe, we could eat this dessert as a post workout snack! Now, that's what I call a healthy dessert!
It only took me about 15 minutes total of prep time. The rest of the time, this bad boy was baking in the oven, only making the house smell like decadent winter spices!
For the apple filling:
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp spiced apple cider (if you do not have this, then water will work just fine)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
For the crumble:
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (you can substitute any nut on hand)
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash, peel, and core then dice apples into cubes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the sliced apples into the mixture and ensure all apples are coated.
- Pour the apple filling into an 8x8 inch-banking sheet (coated with coconut oil or avocado oil spray)
- Place the apples in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl used for the apple filling (now empty), whisk together the crumble, rolled oats almond flour, nuts, melted coconut oil, tubrinado sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- After apples have been in the oven for 10 minutes, take them out of the oven then stire the apple filling around. Then add the crumble topping to the top of hte apples in the baking dish. No need to press down.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the apples are soft, all of the liquid is soaked up and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Let the apple crumple rest for 15 minutes before serving. If you find there is a lot of liquid, just refirgerate for 3 hours to set.
- This step is absolutely necessary! Service a slice with Arctice Zero's Vanilla Maple ice cream**. This combo is an absolute perfect match!
- You can keep this in the fridge for up to 5 days but trust me, it will not last that long.
**Remember to thaw your Arctic Zero ice cream first! Either let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes or microwave the pint for 30 seconds.