As the temperature drops, do you crave your grandma's hearty lasagna and warm apple pie? As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, I work with bariatric patients to help them lose weight in preparation for surgery. In addition to being followed by a team, patients also receive individualized nutrition counseling post-operatively. We work together to identify barriers and solutions throughout their weight loss journey.
I also help people reach their health and fitness goals as a Certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor. For me, it's a personal win to see my patients discover that eating healthy can be enjoyable and delicious. I love being able to help people integrate nutrition, fitness, and wellness to create long lasting lifestyle changes.
Try these healthy alternatives to your favorite cold weather comfort foods to cut fat, sugar, and calories - without sacrificing flavor. You'll also sneak in some added health benefits from more nutrients.
- Turkey Chili - Swapping out ground beef for ground turkey can make this hearty recipe a little leaner. Consider joining the 'Meatless Monday' movement by making it vegetarian. You can use tofu crumbles, sweet potatoes, or even more beans and veggies.
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese - Swap half the cheese with butternut squash for some added nutrients, texture, and taste! Added bonus: swap out half the noodles for cauliflower.
- Chicken Soup - Swap out regular noodles for whole grain, or omit them completely. Make your own homemade soup using a whole chicken, fresh veggies, herbs, and broth to create this delicious and nutritious family favorite.
- Chicken Pot Pie - Simple swaps, like using almond milk for heavy cream and only 1 vs 2 pie crusts, can really lighten up a dish. You will be impressed at how doing so will also cause you to taste more natural flavors from the vegetables.
- Baked Apples - In the oven or microwave, this delicious fruit can satisfy any sweet craving. With a little sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, you won't need added sugar.
Find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist near you at www.eatright.org/find-an-expert
Need more help with food? Visit my profile and grab my free 2 week meal prep plan, "Meal Prep Like a Boss"