For us here in good old Indiana it’s winter time. Meaning the temperatures are dropping and the sunshine is saying goodnight all too soon. This can leave you feeling sluggish, unmotivated, and even underperforming in your workouts. So what can we do to stay on top of our game and get energized again? The key here is staying hydrated and really focusing on the foods that will fuel your performance (sorry, this doesn’t include Christmas cookies).
Here’s a few foods to include in your pre-workout meal/snack:
- Almonds: contains phenolic acids (antioxidant) and vitamin E
- Avocado: contains vitamin K, C, and folate (helps with DNA synthesis and repair)
- Banana: potassium (nutrient lost in sweat)
- Eggs: a complete protein source (contains all 9 essential amino acids)
- Hummus: combination of carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein
- Quinoa: whole grain carbohydrate source with an added protein punch
- Salmon: protein, vitamins, minerals, and Omega-3s for brain function and heart health
- Spinach: anti-inflammatory properties and full of vitamins and minerals to reenergize you after a hard workout
As always, try to focus on having a balance of lean proteins, whole grain carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats at every meal to meet needed levels of protein, vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber intake for the day.
Not seeing foods on here you’d like to try out? Message me below for more suggestions. Eating nutrient dense food is important, but enjoying what you eat is also important – otherwise it won’t be sustainable!